Monday, May 08, 2006
Another week begins. Last weekend we went down to Ithaca for the spring formal. Well, the formal itself was actually at an inn in Groton. It reminded me a lot of Ryan's mom's house. While it had a lot more atmosphere than a chain hotel, the presentation and dance area were short on space. Overall, if I had to rank all former formal locations, from worst to best, it would be:
Holiday Inn Cortland: poor atmosphere, plus a considerable drive from campus
Triphammer Clarion: lousy atmosphere
Holiday Inn Ithaca: lousy atmosphere, but exciting that it was the first formal
Triphammer Ramada (two formals): okay atmosphere, decent food
Groton Inn: very yummy food, great atmosphere, short on space
Cayuga Cruise: short on space (so much that it required doing awards elsewhere), no food, but awesome atmosphere (a boat!)
The Station: yummy dessert, enough space, great atmosphere
Oy, I've been to a lot of PSP formals! Anyway, the afterparty went on 'til 3:30 in the morning, and since we were staying in the house we had to stay up that long. I was able to sleep in until 10:45, but I was still exhausted yesterday. We walked around campus a little, had lunch at Wingz, hung out at the house a little more, then drove back home.
Only 4.5 days of work until "real" vacation! I'm hoping to be able to get together with some people from high school that I haven't seen in 4-6 years. It's a weird feeling. I get all unsettled feeling when my Washington and New York lives collide, like when my family was here for graduation. Now Ryan is going there. I'm looking forward to showing him around where I grew up so he can get a better sense of where I'm coming from, but I'm still unsettled.
Ryan and I are considering buying a house after our first year of living in NJ. Since the rental market is quite limited, we'd have more options in terms of matching what we want, and it would probably make more sense financially as long as we're staying put for the time that I'm in grad school. We'll still definitely be renting this year, though, to get a better feel for the area and save up some money. And to give more time to figure it out- it's such a big decision that my head already feels like it's ready to a-splode. It would be nice, though, because a real house means a big kitchen, plenty of room for Jibblies to run around, and more space to entertain- given we make some friends down there.
Speaking of friends, I'm going to have to warn the people in Washington about Ryan- he's always sooooo serious and stoic when he meets new people. That's why it took a year and a half of knowing him before I could even fathom thinking about him that way. Really, he can be silly and sweet and ridiculous, but only around me and to a lesser extent his family or a few friends. I feel quite privleged to be the chosen one, but I also imagine that my Washington friends are going to think he's psychotic. Which he is, but in a good way. Sigh, I'm just unsettled.
Holiday Inn Cortland: poor atmosphere, plus a considerable drive from campus
Triphammer Clarion: lousy atmosphere
Holiday Inn Ithaca: lousy atmosphere, but exciting that it was the first formal
Triphammer Ramada (two formals): okay atmosphere, decent food
Groton Inn: very yummy food, great atmosphere, short on space
Cayuga Cruise: short on space (so much that it required doing awards elsewhere), no food, but awesome atmosphere (a boat!)
The Station: yummy dessert, enough space, great atmosphere
Oy, I've been to a lot of PSP formals! Anyway, the afterparty went on 'til 3:30 in the morning, and since we were staying in the house we had to stay up that long. I was able to sleep in until 10:45, but I was still exhausted yesterday. We walked around campus a little, had lunch at Wingz, hung out at the house a little more, then drove back home.
Only 4.5 days of work until "real" vacation! I'm hoping to be able to get together with some people from high school that I haven't seen in 4-6 years. It's a weird feeling. I get all unsettled feeling when my Washington and New York lives collide, like when my family was here for graduation. Now Ryan is going there. I'm looking forward to showing him around where I grew up so he can get a better sense of where I'm coming from, but I'm still unsettled.
Ryan and I are considering buying a house after our first year of living in NJ. Since the rental market is quite limited, we'd have more options in terms of matching what we want, and it would probably make more sense financially as long as we're staying put for the time that I'm in grad school. We'll still definitely be renting this year, though, to get a better feel for the area and save up some money. And to give more time to figure it out- it's such a big decision that my head already feels like it's ready to a-splode. It would be nice, though, because a real house means a big kitchen, plenty of room for Jibblies to run around, and more space to entertain- given we make some friends down there.
Speaking of friends, I'm going to have to warn the people in Washington about Ryan- he's always sooooo serious and stoic when he meets new people. That's why it took a year and a half of knowing him before I could even fathom thinking about him that way. Really, he can be silly and sweet and ridiculous, but only around me and to a lesser extent his family or a few friends. I feel quite privleged to be the chosen one, but I also imagine that my Washington friends are going to think he's psychotic. Which he is, but in a good way. Sigh, I'm just unsettled.