<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, April 07, 2006

What's that? You're dying for an update? I'll try.

Four mice so far. But there haven't been any more in a couple days, so that may be all.

We interviewed two applicants last weekend (boo for working weekends at the station). They were both well-qualified and well-recommended, so they were both offered a job (myself and the other tech are both off to school). One accepted, and is taking the other tech's job, but the other declined with the hope that he'll be offered a different job he applied for but hasn't heard from yet. I would take the bird in the hand, but oh well. So my job is still open, but on the plus side more interviews means more free business meals. Seriously, I didn't have to go grocery shopping last week because of all the free food.

I am done analyzing all the 2005 samples! I could conceivably leave all the 2006's for my replacement, but I'm not that mean. Plus I wouldn't have enough work to do. I am hoping to get a published paper out of one of the lakes that we did samples for. My boss was pushing me to write something, and I wasn't too motivated at first, but it would be good for my career.

As opposed to the way I approached undergrad (procrastination, late nights studying, sleeping in til at least 10:00 if not noon), I am going to approach grad school as if it's my job. I am confident that I'll be able to do so because over the past (almost) two years I've learned how much I can accomplish if I work a full day. With my senior thesis, for example, I mucked around for a couple semesters before sitting down, focusing, and cranking it out all over spring break. While there will be "distractions" aplenty in the future (TA'ing, seminars to attend, etc), if I keep regular working hours and fill the gaps in my day with work, I should be able to make good progress. I want to "be all that I can be," without dedicating my life to the army.

Starting at the end of April, Ryan and I have a trip planned every weekend through Memorial Day!
April 28-30: Apartment-hunting trip to Philly area
May 6-7: Ithaca for PSP formal- probably the last trip to Ithaca before we move and aren't as conveniently close
May 13-20: Trip to Washington (spanning 2 weekends)
May 27-29: Memorial Day PSP reunion in Boston

The RL managers will not be pleased that I won't be able to work weekends for a while, but by this point I've got pull. I don't need that job, and I'm one of their all-around best servers (reliable, friendly, good sales, team player), so I could either quit or work a couple weeknights. Given those options, I'm certain they'll give me the schedule I want. Ahhh, it's good to be me.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?