Wednesday, February 01, 2006
Money in, money out. Money in: January was my most profitable month at RL so far. Money out: I got new tires for my car this weekend, and they found a leaky gasket and a desperate need for realignment. Total cost: $650. Money in: did my federal tax return and found that I get a $222 refund. Not nearly as big as last year, but money in my pocket nonetheless. Money out: did my state tax return and found that I owe $160. Stupid New York- I only have one allowance, why do I owe? At least the sum of the two is positive, but I wish it were bigger.
I got a little more info regarding the Penn visit (only a week and a half! ack!). Friday night is just an optional informal dinner with a couple current students, but I plan on going to meet a few people and help myself get more used to my surroundings. Saturday is the big day: breakfast, faculty presentations, lunch, 20-25 minute interviews with 4 different faculty members, free time/campus tour, and dinner at the department chair's house. So while it would be wise not to make a complete fool of myself at any point in the day, the only major anxiety event is the interviews. The rest sounds pretty informative and/or fun, so I'm looking forward to it.
In three weeks I could potentially know for sure that I'm going to school there, with Ryan working not far away. While that situation should make me extremely happy, I hope I feel as celebratory as I should. With things like this I tend to be elated for about 45 seconds, then I feel a big letdown, like "ok, so where was I?" I wish I could extend the elation, because it's a really big deal as far as life decisions go.
I had a dream last night where I actually watched the sun fall out of the sky and the whole world got dark and cold. I was outside at my high school and told everyone to get inside and then keep the doors shut to keep ourselves warm for as long as possible, possibly extending life on Earth for a few more days. People kept exiting and entering the building anyway, letting all the heat out, and I got very frustrated.
I got a little more info regarding the Penn visit (only a week and a half! ack!). Friday night is just an optional informal dinner with a couple current students, but I plan on going to meet a few people and help myself get more used to my surroundings. Saturday is the big day: breakfast, faculty presentations, lunch, 20-25 minute interviews with 4 different faculty members, free time/campus tour, and dinner at the department chair's house. So while it would be wise not to make a complete fool of myself at any point in the day, the only major anxiety event is the interviews. The rest sounds pretty informative and/or fun, so I'm looking forward to it.
In three weeks I could potentially know for sure that I'm going to school there, with Ryan working not far away. While that situation should make me extremely happy, I hope I feel as celebratory as I should. With things like this I tend to be elated for about 45 seconds, then I feel a big letdown, like "ok, so where was I?" I wish I could extend the elation, because it's a really big deal as far as life decisions go.
I had a dream last night where I actually watched the sun fall out of the sky and the whole world got dark and cold. I was outside at my high school and told everyone to get inside and then keep the doors shut to keep ourselves warm for as long as possible, possibly extending life on Earth for a few more days. People kept exiting and entering the building anyway, letting all the heat out, and I got very frustrated.