<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, January 13, 2006

I pick schools like I pick guys. With all big decisions, I survey the options briefly and then have some sort of gut instinct that draws me to one. Then I do my research, just to make sure that I did indeed make the right decision, but by that point it's pretty much a moot point- my mind is made up. And from then on I'm completely infatuated and get all obsessed and can't stop gushing about my fabulous pick.

It was like that picking Cornell. I got it in my head that I needed to go there, then couldn't stop fawning over every piece of junk mail they sent me senior year of high school. Didn't matter that I never visited the campus- I was 100% sure of my decision to go there. And it worked out great.

With guys, there was no need for me to date a bunch to find a decent one- my subconsious mental screening process was so sophisticated that I knew so concretely that Ryan and I would be perfect for each other that I was compelled to tell him my feelings. I've been complimented for my guts in the matter, but truthfully my conviction was so strong that I couldn't not tell him. 2.3 years later, I'm still obsessed with him and we get along even better than I could have projected :)

Presently, I know that I must attend UPenn. Doesn't matter that I haven't visited it yet or even talked on the phone with who might be my advisor. I just know. I have to play along with my boss so he thinks I'm weighing all my options with an open mind, but he wouldn't understand how my big decision-making process works. He'd think it's foolish and irrational. If someone else told me that they think this way, I'd think they were full of it.

ACK! I just realized that I have the same big decision making process as George W! Of course, he went to war without doing the proper research, whereas matters of one girl's education and boyfriend aren't as critical to the course of history. Oh, and my gut instinct tirelessly makes the right decisions.

I'm trying not to get too carried away envisioning my new life in Philly, since I still have to get through the interview. They're putting me up in a hotel for 2 nights and reimbursing me for mileage, though, so they're pretty serious. As long as I do my homework beforehand and don't make any major missteps, I should be fine. Still, rather than doing that homework, I've jumped ahead to planning which subways to take and devising ways for Ryan and I to share living expenses fairly.

I called my mom last night to tell her about the interview, yadda yadda, the possible stipend I would get, blah blah. Of course she's the wet blanket- "That won't go far in Philadelphia." I said that Ryan and I would probably share a place, and got a low tonal noise as an answer. I knew she wouldn't like that, but I don't care. I think I do a damn good job of running my life.

Uh oh, getting bitter. This was supposed to be a happy post.

Ryan and I are going to move to the Philly area, where I'll become even more intellectual and make friends at school, he'll continue his rapid ascent up the corporate ladder, we'll have our adorable yet mischievous kitty, cook delicious meals, and go out for nights on the town. Yay, happy post! :)

Getting ahead of myself,
Cat

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?