Tuesday, September 27, 2005
While I may have adjusted to 65 hour weeks, 75 hour weeks are really
testing me. I need to rant.
In the United States, tipping restaurant waitstaff approximately 15% of
the bill is considered customary. This could range from 10% to 20%
depending on the quality of service. If the server is polite and complies
with your requests promptly and courteously, there is no excuse for
leaving a 5-8% tip. If you cannot afford to leave a 10% tip, do not go
out to eat or order something cheaper.
I've found that most of the time, it is the most demanding people that
leave the smallest tips. I know it's my job to get drink refills, relay
special requests to the kitchen, bring extra sauces, etc, so it's okay to
ask for these things. But if you keep stringing me out with demand after
demand, and I take care of them promptly even if it means my other tables
don't get as much attention as they should, and you leave a dollar per
person? GRRRR!
By the way, the majority of people I serve are fine. It's just those 10%
of rotten apples that stick out in my mind.