Friday, July 01, 2005
Slacking off again. But in my defense, summer is a busy time around here.
I've completed all of my pool dives for scuba class. All that's left is the final exam (have I mentioned that I didn't miss a single question on any of my four quizzes?) next Thursday and our open water dives on July 16 and 17. For the first time in class, we did something last night that I really didn't like. We had to swim the length of the pool along the bottom without our masks, then put on our masks at the bottom of the deep end and clear the water out with air from our nose. Since I've got contacts I had to keep my eyes closed. I just felt a little claustrophobic being underwater in the dark, plus I had to concentrate on not inhaling water through my nose. But I made it across the pool to the deep end. Unfortuately, I'd been storing my mask down around my neck during the voyage, so when I tried to pull it up over my face I knocked the regulator out of my mouth and they got tangled. I inhaled a bit of water, but was able to gather my thoughts enough to get the regulator back in my mouth and signal to the instructor that I wanted to go up to the surface. The next time I stored my mask around my arm instead of my neck, and didn't have the tangling problem.
Last weekend we changed most of our plans. We did wash cars and canoe Friday night, but didn't swim. Saturday instead of going to Ithaca, the Ithaca people came up to Ryan's apartment and we had Dino BBQ take-out. Sunday we went to see Batman in town instead of driving to Rochester to see it on IMAX.
This weekend? I don't know. Well, Monday the 4th is my third (!) of Peter's themed birthday parties. And I've been blogging long enough that you could go back to July 2003/2004 and read about the pirates and cowboys if you wanted to. This year it's jungle-themed. I'm wearing my leopard print pair of pajama shorts- my only jungle-y clothing item, with a nondescript shirt. Unless, of course, I arrive and his mom has already bought me a complete jungle wardrobe. I wouldn't be surprised.
As long as the weather is good on Tuesday, Ryan is taking the day off work and going sampling out on the boat with me :) If the weather is bad we can't sample, so he'll go back to his apartment and watch a billion episodes of Batman: The Animated Series while I stay at work and do indoor things. I'd bet money on it!
Oh, the moving fish food? Ryan bought a mouse trap and within hours, the culprit was apprehended. And executed. Poor, poor Grumblecakes!
I've completed all of my pool dives for scuba class. All that's left is the final exam (have I mentioned that I didn't miss a single question on any of my four quizzes?) next Thursday and our open water dives on July 16 and 17. For the first time in class, we did something last night that I really didn't like. We had to swim the length of the pool along the bottom without our masks, then put on our masks at the bottom of the deep end and clear the water out with air from our nose. Since I've got contacts I had to keep my eyes closed. I just felt a little claustrophobic being underwater in the dark, plus I had to concentrate on not inhaling water through my nose. But I made it across the pool to the deep end. Unfortuately, I'd been storing my mask down around my neck during the voyage, so when I tried to pull it up over my face I knocked the regulator out of my mouth and they got tangled. I inhaled a bit of water, but was able to gather my thoughts enough to get the regulator back in my mouth and signal to the instructor that I wanted to go up to the surface. The next time I stored my mask around my arm instead of my neck, and didn't have the tangling problem.
Last weekend we changed most of our plans. We did wash cars and canoe Friday night, but didn't swim. Saturday instead of going to Ithaca, the Ithaca people came up to Ryan's apartment and we had Dino BBQ take-out. Sunday we went to see Batman in town instead of driving to Rochester to see it on IMAX.
This weekend? I don't know. Well, Monday the 4th is my third (!) of Peter's themed birthday parties. And I've been blogging long enough that you could go back to July 2003/2004 and read about the pirates and cowboys if you wanted to. This year it's jungle-themed. I'm wearing my leopard print pair of pajama shorts- my only jungle-y clothing item, with a nondescript shirt. Unless, of course, I arrive and his mom has already bought me a complete jungle wardrobe. I wouldn't be surprised.
As long as the weather is good on Tuesday, Ryan is taking the day off work and going sampling out on the boat with me :) If the weather is bad we can't sample, so he'll go back to his apartment and watch a billion episodes of Batman: The Animated Series while I stay at work and do indoor things. I'd bet money on it!
Oh, the moving fish food? Ryan bought a mouse trap and within hours, the culprit was apprehended. And executed. Poor, poor Grumblecakes!