Tuesday, July 19, 2005
My mom is doing okay for now; we'll see how this pans out over time.
I'm now a certified open water diver! Our class took our certification dives this weekend. It took up most of the weekend, in fact, because the dive site was almost 2 hours away and we had to make 2 round trips. I carpooled with one of the interns from the station who took the class on Tuesday nights instead of my Thursdays. The site wasn't too interesting and we only went 20 feet deep, but it was still good to get out of the pool and into a real body of water. On Sunday after we were certified, the instructors invited us along to another site if we wanted to do more diving that day. I did, of course, mainly because it was a great opportunity to dive without paying to rent the equipment. The place we went to was AWESOME! There was a HUGE wooden wreck (50 feet long, maybe?) only 40 feet from shore, but in 45 feet of water or so, because the bank of the river slopes down steeply. The visibility was great and we saw lots of fish too. I definitely felt more adventurous and privileged to see the wreck, whereas everything we saw during our certification dive you could pretty much see if you had been snorkeling. The instructors wife came along and had an underwater digital camera- she is supposed to email me the pictures she took if they came out clearly. I'm really hoping they turn out, then I can post them here. I also took some surface pictures, but the cable that connects my camera to the compy is at Ryan's, so I won't have those up til next weekend.
Ryan is in Colorado for the week at his leadership conference for work. Another couple days and I'll really be missing him, but he'll be back Friday night, so I can deal with it.
One of the interns organized a game of Assassins for the station. It's going on right now, but I'm trying not to get too obsessed about it. If I have the opportunity to make a kill, I will, but no staking out apartments for me. Maybe I'll just lay low and wait for all the interns to get rid of each other, then make my move. No one here knows how good at the game I can be, so I'll use that to my advantage.
I'm now a certified open water diver! Our class took our certification dives this weekend. It took up most of the weekend, in fact, because the dive site was almost 2 hours away and we had to make 2 round trips. I carpooled with one of the interns from the station who took the class on Tuesday nights instead of my Thursdays. The site wasn't too interesting and we only went 20 feet deep, but it was still good to get out of the pool and into a real body of water. On Sunday after we were certified, the instructors invited us along to another site if we wanted to do more diving that day. I did, of course, mainly because it was a great opportunity to dive without paying to rent the equipment. The place we went to was AWESOME! There was a HUGE wooden wreck (50 feet long, maybe?) only 40 feet from shore, but in 45 feet of water or so, because the bank of the river slopes down steeply. The visibility was great and we saw lots of fish too. I definitely felt more adventurous and privileged to see the wreck, whereas everything we saw during our certification dive you could pretty much see if you had been snorkeling. The instructors wife came along and had an underwater digital camera- she is supposed to email me the pictures she took if they came out clearly. I'm really hoping they turn out, then I can post them here. I also took some surface pictures, but the cable that connects my camera to the compy is at Ryan's, so I won't have those up til next weekend.
Ryan is in Colorado for the week at his leadership conference for work. Another couple days and I'll really be missing him, but he'll be back Friday night, so I can deal with it.
One of the interns organized a game of Assassins for the station. It's going on right now, but I'm trying not to get too obsessed about it. If I have the opportunity to make a kill, I will, but no staking out apartments for me. Maybe I'll just lay low and wait for all the interns to get rid of each other, then make my move. No one here knows how good at the game I can be, so I'll use that to my advantage.