<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Been bad about updating, but so has everyone else. So we're even. Except that now I'm updating. So I'm ahead. Ha.

I applied for a evening/weekend job waitressing at a Red L0b$ter that advertised they were hiring. We'll see if I get called back for an interview, and then subsequently see if I get hired. I don't plan to aggressively job-search, but this was a good restaurant advertising openings, so I figured why not? Waitressing at a decent restaurant (meaning not the sketchy diners close to my house) is the best option for a part-time job...tips! It's not cost-effective for me to drive a ways just to make minimum wage, but when tips enter the equation it'd be worth it. Plus it would probably help keep me from getting so bored and depressed during the dark winter. Main drawback: less free time for sleep and spending with the boy. Boy, do I feel guilty about applying, though. It's like I'm having an affair from my daytime job. I can't imagine how guilty I'd feel if I were having a real affair!

It's very nice outside now that the hot/humid stretch is over. It feels crisp and sunny outside, like a beautiful fall day. I think I'd like fall more if it didn't mean that winter was soon on its way. Right now I'm looking forward to fall because 1) the interns will be gone and it'll be less hectic at work and 2) I'll finally get to reveal to Ryan what his birthday present is. I've had to keep the secret from him since friggin March!

Another good thing about fall is that it'll be the appropriate time to start contacting potential grad school advisors. If I were to do that now I'm seem like some kinda psycho stalker prospective student. I've got my eye on one in particular, though. Now I just have to lurk with sock in hand. . . oh wait, that's Assassins.

That brings up two things, I guess. One is Assassins. I know who's after me because he's not very tactful. I've "caught" him stalking me on several occassions, but I've always been careful to plan my escape routes and keep witnesses around. He's probably quite frustrated by now, but he can deal with it. I haven't really made any attempts on my target. There just hasn't been a good opportunity, and I have lost the urge to stalk with sock in hand. Yep, who woulda thought that day would come?

The second thing I had on my mind was grad school. Thought I'd update you on my thinkings. I want to study marine benthic (bottom-dwelling) invertebrates. Something like crustaceans/molluscs/echinoderms. I also want to be near Ryan, and I also want for Ryan not to have to give up a sweet career with L0ckheed. So I've been looking for good to great grad schools with marine ecology people that are within a 2 or 3 hour drive of the few L0ckheed locations that Ryan would be transferable to. My main contenders right now are UC D@vis (top choice- lots of potential advisors, including my stalkee potential advisor) and UC Berke1ey, both not too far from a bay area L0ckheed, and the U of Maryland and Virginia In$titute of M@rine Science, which are both driving distance from the Manassas, VA L0ckheed. I may apply to other schools that are not in the ideal location, but I'm pretty darn sure that I'm applying to most of those four. And by the way, UC D@vis is ranked the #1 grad school in ecology, so please don't think I'm compromising my career in any way by having a very specific set of criteria.

Since it's so crisp and sunny outside I think I might try going for a run. Hopefully my knee will hold up for at least a few miles- it's such perfect running weather!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?