Thursday, June 09, 2005
This week has been pretty good so far. On Monday night Ryan and I went to a Foreigner concert at Turning Stone. I lost $10 on the slots before the show, making me even with last time I went, but now I've learned my lesson and won't expect to make money every time. The concert was pretty good, considering that they're way old, but it's usually good if you know almost all the songs being played.
Last night was great. After potluck I played volleyball with people for about an hour. My serving has gotten worse after not playing in a long time, but I can bump like no one's business. People were impressed with how quick and consistent I was. Having played lots of sports in junior high and high school, I used to get lots of attention for being good at them. I didn't play many team sports in college, just a few intramurals where my skills had obviously deteriorated since high school. So I guess it was nice to get out there and impress people with my skills of a volleyball player.
After volleyball, since it was still sweltering hot, a few of us went swimming in the lake. I really should go swimming in the lake more often- it was so nice. We had a little foot race through waist-deep water and I won :) I even beat the boys :P Then we swam out to an island which was a decent distance away, wearing us out. But then it turned out that there's a route back to land where you can walk the whole way, so we did that. Oof, so tired! But pleasantly tired.
I talked to my mom on the phone and told her I was starting scuba class, and through the tone of her voice and such I could tell that she thought it was a big waste of time and money. I tried explaining how it's both a career move (preparation for grad school in marine ecology) and a hobby for fun, but she couldn't seem to comprehend that it would be fun or interesting. Grrr. I mean, couldn't she just pretend to be supportive? It's my money, not hers, and I think I would know a little better on what I need in order to go to grad school in the area of my choice. Sigh.
Last night was great. After potluck I played volleyball with people for about an hour. My serving has gotten worse after not playing in a long time, but I can bump like no one's business. People were impressed with how quick and consistent I was. Having played lots of sports in junior high and high school, I used to get lots of attention for being good at them. I didn't play many team sports in college, just a few intramurals where my skills had obviously deteriorated since high school. So I guess it was nice to get out there and impress people with my skills of a volleyball player.
After volleyball, since it was still sweltering hot, a few of us went swimming in the lake. I really should go swimming in the lake more often- it was so nice. We had a little foot race through waist-deep water and I won :) I even beat the boys :P Then we swam out to an island which was a decent distance away, wearing us out. But then it turned out that there's a route back to land where you can walk the whole way, so we did that. Oof, so tired! But pleasantly tired.
I talked to my mom on the phone and told her I was starting scuba class, and through the tone of her voice and such I could tell that she thought it was a big waste of time and money. I tried explaining how it's both a career move (preparation for grad school in marine ecology) and a hobby for fun, but she couldn't seem to comprehend that it would be fun or interesting. Grrr. I mean, couldn't she just pretend to be supportive? It's my money, not hers, and I think I would know a little better on what I need in order to go to grad school in the area of my choice. Sigh.