<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, June 05, 2005



I'm gonna be a scuba diver! I signed up for a class yesterday and bought all of my personal equipment at the special new student rate. The first session is Thursday night and I've started doing my homework already. After a year with no homework, I was just itching to crack that book and start reading. For instance, I learned that the most important rule of diving is "Breathe continuously and never hold your breath." That's because if your lungs have air in them and you hold your breath as you ascend, the air will expand and... YOUR LUNGS A-SPLODE!!!

Strong Bad references aside, it's really good that I'm getting certified because 1) it sounds fun and I could definitely use more adventure these days, and 2) if I were to apply to grad school in marine biology and they found out I wasn't certified, then they'd probably laugh me off the premises. So rather than just stagnate in my job as I do the same things for another year, I'm at least learning new scuba stuff. The class is only 5 weeks because they give you most of the book/video stuff as homework, but for 5 weeks I'll have something to do in my free time. Sounds great,eh? Wish it didn't set me back $500, but at least I've got some pretty blue gear to keep.

The swimsuit was a great find at TJ Maxx- it's Nautica and was $7! I needed something simple and sensible for under a wetsuit. I don't know whether to call it my 'Baywatch suit" or my "Special K" suit. Well, I don't intend to run in slow motion, so Special K it is.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?