Sunday, April 24, 2005
It's Ryan's end-o-semester crunch, so he had to spend most of yesterday programming. He's had some major cabin fever, wanting to go somewhere "exciting" and do something "fun." Other than the usual movie or pool, there aren't many options around here, but I did come up with one- Turning Stone, the casino that's 40 or so minutes away. He wasn't particularly enthused about the idea, being a robot and all, but agreed that it was somewhere to go. So we went last night.
I still have only played slots, knowing full well that they have the worst odds. I'd like to try out blackjack sometime, but not on a busy Saturday night- the hands were going too fast for me to keep track of what was going on. Slots are also good because you can bet in tiny increments (yay nickel slots!) and make a small amount of money keep you entertained for a night. Know of any blackjack tables with a 15 cent minimum? Anyway. . .
I decided to get a $20 card with the hope that I wasn't throwing away a week and a half of my ultra-strict food budget. Ryan didn't gamble at all- robots play by the odds, so he just watched and served as my good luck charm. In the beginning it looked bad as I dipped down to $15 without winning a dime. I switched to a different machine and started slowly working my way back up. I'd been betting only a nickel on each line throughout the night, but once I just felt spontaneous and bet a dime instead- good timing! I won 150 times my bet, or $15.00 on one spin. At one point I was up to $43, but I kept playing and told the robot to stop me if I dropped down to $30. At around 9:00 I did, so we left. I was happy with the result- we got out of the apartment and did something "exciting" and I made $10.
That money won't be with me long, however. I've got a leaky tire that has been seriously chewing up my gas mileage even though I've been adding air every week. I've got a 11:00 appointment today to have it fixed- I'm hoping it's just the valve and they don't try to talk me into getting the whole tire replaced. The other activity for the day is having dinner with Ryan's mom at the Radisson disguised as a circular 1960's dorm that you see when you're driving on I-81. Supposedly it's quite fancy inside, but from the exterior I've always throught it was either low-income housing or an annex dorm for SU.
That's the news du jour.
I still have only played slots, knowing full well that they have the worst odds. I'd like to try out blackjack sometime, but not on a busy Saturday night- the hands were going too fast for me to keep track of what was going on. Slots are also good because you can bet in tiny increments (yay nickel slots!) and make a small amount of money keep you entertained for a night. Know of any blackjack tables with a 15 cent minimum? Anyway. . .
I decided to get a $20 card with the hope that I wasn't throwing away a week and a half of my ultra-strict food budget. Ryan didn't gamble at all- robots play by the odds, so he just watched and served as my good luck charm. In the beginning it looked bad as I dipped down to $15 without winning a dime. I switched to a different machine and started slowly working my way back up. I'd been betting only a nickel on each line throughout the night, but once I just felt spontaneous and bet a dime instead- good timing! I won 150 times my bet, or $15.00 on one spin. At one point I was up to $43, but I kept playing and told the robot to stop me if I dropped down to $30. At around 9:00 I did, so we left. I was happy with the result- we got out of the apartment and did something "exciting" and I made $10.
That money won't be with me long, however. I've got a leaky tire that has been seriously chewing up my gas mileage even though I've been adding air every week. I've got a 11:00 appointment today to have it fixed- I'm hoping it's just the valve and they don't try to talk me into getting the whole tire replaced. The other activity for the day is having dinner with Ryan's mom at the Radisson disguised as a circular 1960's dorm that you see when you're driving on I-81. Supposedly it's quite fancy inside, but from the exterior I've always throught it was either low-income housing or an annex dorm for SU.
That's the news du jour.