Wednesday, December 01, 2004
"Blog is the #1 word of the year! According to Merriam-Webster, a blog is "a Web site that contains an online personal journal with reflections, comments and often hyperlinks." They did a good job with that definition. Way to go, Mer-Webs. I kind of wonder whose job it is to come up with definitions for new words, and what sort of advisory board confirms them. Hmm.
Last night, after a yummy shrimp stir-fry dinner, me and Ryan went to a thing called "Lights on the Lake." You get to drive along a couple miles of waterfront path at the park, flanked by tons of holiday lights. There were themed sections: aquatic life, enchanted forest, sports, fairy tales, Wizard of Oz, and a few corporate logos. Overall, it was very impressive, with maybe 4x the amount of lights I expected.
Me and the other tech at work listen to Howard Stern in the mornings. It's sort of a tech tradition; I wouldn't have started listening to it on my own, and some of the stuff on there is pretty ridiculous/misogynistic/whatever, but it's usually pretty funny and a nice change from news radio or the music stations that repeat new songs every hour or so. Anyway, the local affiliate announced yesterday that they're cutting off the show at 10am to play music. Some woman from Syracuse called in to Howard today and told him about it, and he went off insulting the local DJ. Not just for a minute or two; he spent a good 20 minutes or so. It was hilarious, since the DJ is a jackass on his show. Then the affiliate cut off Stern at 9:50, extra early, and the DJ hasn't spoken yet- they've just been playing music and prerecorded clips. Sorry, you're probably finding this story boring, I guess you just have to listen to both Stern and the Syracuse DJ to see the hilarity of it.
It's December. Craaazy. Yesterday I finished up a big chunk of work (2.5 months of it)- all the Lake Ontario samples for the year. I'm about 2 months ahead of schedule (since the guy before me stayed on til August, we overlapped and got twice as much done). It's nice to be ahead :) And no, I'm not typing this on work time- it's my break.
I had a dream last night where someone from work found my blog and thought it was slander against the field station, but didn't realize that it was mine. She printed out a screen shot of it and left it on the break room table. I remember being really nervous and pretending to know nothing about it, "Who would ever write such a thing?" Heh.
It's raining hard right now. I'd much prefer that it snow. I get to park in a garage this winter :) Yeah covered parking! Unfortunately, there's no remote door opener, so I'll have to get out of the car to open and close the door. And the garage is across the street from my house, so I'll still have to be exposed to the elements. But at least I won't have to scrape snow and ice off of it every time I want to drive.
I keep changing topics, don't I? And I've been typing really fast. Coffee: the true "miracle of life."
Last night, after a yummy shrimp stir-fry dinner, me and Ryan went to a thing called "Lights on the Lake." You get to drive along a couple miles of waterfront path at the park, flanked by tons of holiday lights. There were themed sections: aquatic life, enchanted forest, sports, fairy tales, Wizard of Oz, and a few corporate logos. Overall, it was very impressive, with maybe 4x the amount of lights I expected.
Me and the other tech at work listen to Howard Stern in the mornings. It's sort of a tech tradition; I wouldn't have started listening to it on my own, and some of the stuff on there is pretty ridiculous/misogynistic/whatever, but it's usually pretty funny and a nice change from news radio or the music stations that repeat new songs every hour or so. Anyway, the local affiliate announced yesterday that they're cutting off the show at 10am to play music. Some woman from Syracuse called in to Howard today and told him about it, and he went off insulting the local DJ. Not just for a minute or two; he spent a good 20 minutes or so. It was hilarious, since the DJ is a jackass on his show. Then the affiliate cut off Stern at 9:50, extra early, and the DJ hasn't spoken yet- they've just been playing music and prerecorded clips. Sorry, you're probably finding this story boring, I guess you just have to listen to both Stern and the Syracuse DJ to see the hilarity of it.
It's December. Craaazy. Yesterday I finished up a big chunk of work (2.5 months of it)- all the Lake Ontario samples for the year. I'm about 2 months ahead of schedule (since the guy before me stayed on til August, we overlapped and got twice as much done). It's nice to be ahead :) And no, I'm not typing this on work time- it's my break.
I had a dream last night where someone from work found my blog and thought it was slander against the field station, but didn't realize that it was mine. She printed out a screen shot of it and left it on the break room table. I remember being really nervous and pretending to know nothing about it, "Who would ever write such a thing?" Heh.
It's raining hard right now. I'd much prefer that it snow. I get to park in a garage this winter :) Yeah covered parking! Unfortunately, there's no remote door opener, so I'll have to get out of the car to open and close the door. And the garage is across the street from my house, so I'll still have to be exposed to the elements. But at least I won't have to scrape snow and ice off of it every time I want to drive.
I keep changing topics, don't I? And I've been typing really fast. Coffee: the true "miracle of life."