Tuesday, July 13, 2004
Last week was a sucky one. I didn't get to go out on the lake to sample at all because it was too windy. So far this week (Mon and Tues) I haven't been able to either. Hopefully tomorrow.
I exchanged my Washington license for a New York one today. Pros: easier to register a car here, I'll have an over 21 license, it'll be easier for bouncers to check my age. Con: NY licenses aren't as pretty. And, oh yeah, it cost $40.
So, I'm fairly sure that I'll be car shopping with the intent of buying this weekend. If I don't find what I want at a reasonable price then I'll wait until I do, but I could conceivably buy one. I'm a little nervous of being taken advantage of because I'm a first-time buyer, or getting a crappy interest rate or something, but I've been doing my research and know what I should be paying. I'll also be trying to negociate somewhat...which means I pretend to be all confident and nonchalant when I'm exactly the opposite. And after all that I get to deal with the DMV again for registration, etc.
I was shopping around online for car insurance and started with Progressive, since their big thing is providing the rates of competitors. Although I'm on the young side, I do have a clean driving record and am female, so I was pretty shocked when I saw the quotes. It really had me discouraged and thinking I should put off getting the car longer. A guy at work mentioned that he uses Geico, which wasn't one that Progressive listed the price of, so I got a quote from them. "Just 15 minutes can save you up to 15% on car insurance," they say, right? Well, for an equal level of coverage, Geico was 43% lower! So I'll be going with them, as soon as I decide on what I'm buying.
Off to browse more car listings...
I exchanged my Washington license for a New York one today. Pros: easier to register a car here, I'll have an over 21 license, it'll be easier for bouncers to check my age. Con: NY licenses aren't as pretty. And, oh yeah, it cost $40.
So, I'm fairly sure that I'll be car shopping with the intent of buying this weekend. If I don't find what I want at a reasonable price then I'll wait until I do, but I could conceivably buy one. I'm a little nervous of being taken advantage of because I'm a first-time buyer, or getting a crappy interest rate or something, but I've been doing my research and know what I should be paying. I'll also be trying to negociate somewhat...which means I pretend to be all confident and nonchalant when I'm exactly the opposite. And after all that I get to deal with the DMV again for registration, etc.
I was shopping around online for car insurance and started with Progressive, since their big thing is providing the rates of competitors. Although I'm on the young side, I do have a clean driving record and am female, so I was pretty shocked when I saw the quotes. It really had me discouraged and thinking I should put off getting the car longer. A guy at work mentioned that he uses Geico, which wasn't one that Progressive listed the price of, so I got a quote from them. "Just 15 minutes can save you up to 15% on car insurance," they say, right? Well, for an equal level of coverage, Geico was 43% lower! So I'll be going with them, as soon as I decide on what I'm buying.
Off to browse more car listings...