<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, April 23, 2004

Woot woot woot. Woot woot. Woot.

For all intensive purposes, I have a job for the next 1-2 years! :D It's not official yet, but after a two hour interview/tour, the director told me (paraphrasing here) "I'm very impressed with your resume and think you'd fit in well here. I need to check, according to Cornell guidelines I may be required to interview at least one other person before I can fill the position, but I hope not." That and a bunch of other things make me 98% sure that the job is mine.

Now a little bit more about it. The C0rnell Bi0l0gical Fie1d Stati0n is about 20 minutes Northeast of Syracuse, on the shore of 0neida Lake. It's 600+ acres that was left by a wealthy Cornell engineer (those wealthy Cornell engineers...gotta love 'em), so it has a lot of little buildings scattered over it- offices, labs, meeting areas, housing. I'd be working as a Research Technician, and most of the work I'd be doing has to do with zooplankton. I'd get to do a fair amount of boating to collect samples on 0neida Lake and Lake 0ntario, including driving boats myself :D In the lab, it sounds like I'll do a lot of plankton counting and identification. I'd be living in an apartment located on the property in the back of this house:



I had a chance to look inside and although it's fairly old, it's not any worse than my current apartment and has quite a bit of room for one person. Pay is decent, especially because I'll have a cheap place to live, and I get health insurance (which I currently don't have since I got kicked off my parents' plan when I turned 22).

Ryan, being the best person ever, drove me up to the station at 7:30 am. While I was there he looked at an apartment complex. Then he picked me up and we looked at two more. He pretty much decided on one place, and it's only a 25 minute drive from where I'll be. Not that it's the reason that I'm working there, though.

I turned in my mushrooms term paper today, so the only work I have left for the semester is my thesis talk and revisions. Then finals, senior week, graduation, and Scandinavia! :D

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?