<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, April 28, 2004

I've been doing a lot of budgeting for next year, now that I know how much I'll be making and what my rent (which includes heat, water, and electric :) will be. I've got taxes (federal, NYS, and Social Security), phone, student loans, food, and personal supplies all accounted for, and it looks like I will be able to afford to finance a new car! And pay for insurance and gas. I won't have a lot left over, but it should be enough to get by unless something disasterous happens.

"Cat," you say, "isn't a brand new car a little extravagant for someone with a lab tech job?" Car-related expenses will make up a good chunk of my income, but since my rent will be dirt cheap, I think it will work. Also, if I'm to be working for 2 years then going to grad school for about 5, I need something that will be sure to last me the whole time. I don't want to have to deal with lots of repairs either, which could be the case with a used car. Finally, I've never had the luxury of a brand new car since my family always buys used. The last new car they bought was in 1979!

I've got my eye on one model in particular, the Mazda3, 4 door (5 door is uglier and more expensive). I like the styling, and it has more power than most small cars for the same price. Gas mileage is good, since I don't want to spend a lot on gas. I'm not sure whether I want a manual or automatic transmission...I can drive both, but auto is more convenient in traffic or on hills such as those I'd find when visiting Ithaca. On the flip side, if I'm getting a sportier car, manual might be more appropriate and fun in non-traffic/hill conditions. It's also $800 less. I think I will test drive both and see how I like them. This wouldn't be happening until after I get back from Scandinavia, though. Mazda has a $500 college grad discount :) My top color choice would be the Strato Blue, although if it means a better price, color isn't a deal-breaker. Except for beige, aka "Shimmering Sand." No beige car for me. I'm so excited about getting a car...wish I could just go ahead and get it now.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?