<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, April 12, 2004

Gnawing on chocolate bunnies = :)

Saturday morning it was decided that I'd go with Ryan to his family's Easter get-together near Poughkeepsie. We drove over from 2-6, then hung out at his grandmother's house for a bit before dinner at a nice Italian place with his mom, brother, and company. Then we went to Dairy Queen with his brother and his brother's friend. Then we went to his dad's house, which was the house Ryan grew up in. My favorite part of the trip was seeing the house, since I finally got to see what he'd described to me long before. Watched a little tv, then went to bed because I, at least, was dead tired.

The next morning we got up at 8:30 (ack!) and went to Easter mass with his mother's side of the family. My family used to go to mass every week when I was in elementary school, so it was sort of like I went back in time to then. Kneeling is just as uncomfortable as I remembered. After church we did the picture/Easter basket thing at his grandmothers, then he took me to meet his grandparents on his father's side. After that was brunch at his aunt's. All in all, a lot of schmoozing with the family. Then we drove home. And by "we", I mean we...Ryan was sleepy so I got to drive most of the way home :) After we got back I was struck with sudden sleepiness myself...took a two hour nap in the evening and was still sleepy enough to fall asleep at a normal time last night.

I applied for an awesome-sounding job today after finding out about it just this morning. It's a research position doing limnology (lake stuff) at the Cornell Biological Field Station just outside of Syracuse. It sounds awesome for several reasons: #1 I think I have a good chance at being selected since it's Cornell-affiliated and they know what to expect of someone with my qualifications (that didn't sound too pretentious, did it? ;) #2, housing would be provided at the field station, so even though the pay probably won't be a whole lot it'll still be enough to get by on and hopefully I could save up for a modest used car. #3 It's the outdoorsy, field work type thing that I've been hoping to do all along. #4 I know at least one person who will be in the Syracuse area next year ( ;) ) and it's close enough that I could easily visit Cornell and the PSP house. I think they just opened the position up, and they're accepting applicants until May 10, but I already got my app in the mail this afternoon. Hopefully it'll be the first one they get and it'll get looked over closely before the mass of applications they get right before the deadline. Don't want to get my hopes up too far, but this is just the sort of thing I'm looking for :)

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?