Thursday, March 11, 2004
Last night I "visited an old friend." It was something I haven't done since me and Ryan started dating...I went to the gym! It's kind of sad how out of shape I am compared to last summer, but at least I'm not very sore today. It's a shame how crowded it is during the school year, though. I was there from 9:30-10:30pm and there were still waits for the machines. The only way to avoid that is to get up at the crack of dawn, though, and that's definitely not going to happen. Still, I'll see if I can start going at least twice a week...I feel bad that my pricey year-long gym pass is going to waste. And it felt good to be non-lazy for a change.
I was talking to someone in the bio office about how I'm job hunting but it's difficult because 1) the range of jobs that I'm looking for is so small and 2) they pay crap so I'd be lucky to break even for the year. She had a suggestion that a few bio majors have done on their "years off"- teach bio or chem at a private high school. Private because most of them don't require special certification beyond a bachelor's, although if I found a boarding school then I'd get a free place to live, too. I'm giving this idea some serious consideration. After all, I have the qualifications to get into grad school without necessarily doing research next year, and it would really be good to have some money to buy a car, laptop, and start paying off my loans. Plus, I'll be stuck TA'ing in grad school anyway, even if I don't become a professor, so teaching would be a good skill to have. I'll still keep looking for research jobs, but I'd like to keep my options open.
I was talking to someone in the bio office about how I'm job hunting but it's difficult because 1) the range of jobs that I'm looking for is so small and 2) they pay crap so I'd be lucky to break even for the year. She had a suggestion that a few bio majors have done on their "years off"- teach bio or chem at a private high school. Private because most of them don't require special certification beyond a bachelor's, although if I found a boarding school then I'd get a free place to live, too. I'm giving this idea some serious consideration. After all, I have the qualifications to get into grad school without necessarily doing research next year, and it would really be good to have some money to buy a car, laptop, and start paying off my loans. Plus, I'll be stuck TA'ing in grad school anyway, even if I don't become a professor, so teaching would be a good skill to have. I'll still keep looking for research jobs, but I'd like to keep my options open.