Friday, January 09, 2004
Either not many people have been reading the blog or there are gonna be many with bad luck for the next 7 years.
So a little more explanation on the survey...I got the idea during a conversation with Ryan a few nights ago. Somehow it came up that I have been to a monster truck show (I believe the Strong Bad monster truck email led into it), and he was aghast. In fact, although he'd seen parodies on TV of monster truck shows, he didn't think they actually still took place. But then I just saw a commercial for one the other day, so I was wondering if it was a geographical difference. So some of the questions pertain to our conversation topics, some are so I can improve the website, and some I'm just curious.
So I realize it's not completely anonymous, especially if you live in a weird state like Illinois :P But if that's what's keeping you from filling one out, just leave it blank. So far I have 4. Hmm, maybe it would be more motivating if it was a quiz with results. Or a dating service...I could set up compatible couples and suggest common interests that they might want to incorporate into their first date. "X, you and Y both drink like fish. You should ask Y to go get drunk with you. I see some potential!"
Yesterday I filled out a student loan application (booo), finished Return of the King and thus the LOTR trilogy, watched TV, talked to Ryan. On the topic of LOTR, me and Ryan were discussing which character we identified with most. Definitely Eowyn. From the movies you can see that she kicks some ass, which I aspire to do. But in the book I definitely see parallels between her love life and mine. She was sad longing for someone she couldn't have, then got hurt (me going through a rough patch) and recovered in the company of someone in a similar situation and fell for him. Then she was happy :)
So today, what was there to do? I'm done with my books, and Ryan is skiing in Utah, so I couldn't talk to him. Well, I got the survey up, did about 30 minutes of half-hearted job searching online, started working on a puzzle, and played a long-ass bout of the Chicken Game. New high score- 278600!!! Seriously, I cannot let myself play once school starts...there are much better ways to spend two hours. But right now I've got time to kill.
One week from now I'll be back in Ithaca. Woohoo! So I get back on Thursday the 15th. I plan on being lazy the 16th, to recuperate from the jet lag and traveling. Though there is a hockey game. Also a game on the 17th. The 19th is my birthday. Then sometime that week me and Ryan are going on another short trip, kinda like Niagara Falls, which was the highlight of my fall semester :) Don't know where we're going yet. Some ideas were Toronto, Boston, and Providence, but it seems like everywhere we think of would be better in the summer. Or at least not the winter. Brrr. But I'm sure that no matter where we go we'll have a good time. I'm also going to go skiing for the first time in there somewhere- we're going to Greek Peak. I think I'll be able to pick it up fairly quickly- I'm athletic and have good balance. Ryan's somewhat skeptical...whatever happened to, "Aren't you always right?" :P
Tomorrow morning I've got an optometrist appointment. Then I can finally get some new contacts...I've been wearing mostly glasses for the past two months because the contacts irritate my eyes when I wear them for more than a couple hours. Yup, that's what's new with me.
So a little more explanation on the survey...I got the idea during a conversation with Ryan a few nights ago. Somehow it came up that I have been to a monster truck show (I believe the Strong Bad monster truck email led into it), and he was aghast. In fact, although he'd seen parodies on TV of monster truck shows, he didn't think they actually still took place. But then I just saw a commercial for one the other day, so I was wondering if it was a geographical difference. So some of the questions pertain to our conversation topics, some are so I can improve the website, and some I'm just curious.
So I realize it's not completely anonymous, especially if you live in a weird state like Illinois :P But if that's what's keeping you from filling one out, just leave it blank. So far I have 4. Hmm, maybe it would be more motivating if it was a quiz with results. Or a dating service...I could set up compatible couples and suggest common interests that they might want to incorporate into their first date. "X, you and Y both drink like fish. You should ask Y to go get drunk with you. I see some potential!"
Yesterday I filled out a student loan application (booo), finished Return of the King and thus the LOTR trilogy, watched TV, talked to Ryan. On the topic of LOTR, me and Ryan were discussing which character we identified with most. Definitely Eowyn. From the movies you can see that she kicks some ass, which I aspire to do. But in the book I definitely see parallels between her love life and mine. She was sad longing for someone she couldn't have, then got hurt (me going through a rough patch) and recovered in the company of someone in a similar situation and fell for him. Then she was happy :)
So today, what was there to do? I'm done with my books, and Ryan is skiing in Utah, so I couldn't talk to him. Well, I got the survey up, did about 30 minutes of half-hearted job searching online, started working on a puzzle, and played a long-ass bout of the Chicken Game. New high score- 278600!!! Seriously, I cannot let myself play once school starts...there are much better ways to spend two hours. But right now I've got time to kill.
One week from now I'll be back in Ithaca. Woohoo! So I get back on Thursday the 15th. I plan on being lazy the 16th, to recuperate from the jet lag and traveling. Though there is a hockey game. Also a game on the 17th. The 19th is my birthday. Then sometime that week me and Ryan are going on another short trip, kinda like Niagara Falls, which was the highlight of my fall semester :) Don't know where we're going yet. Some ideas were Toronto, Boston, and Providence, but it seems like everywhere we think of would be better in the summer. Or at least not the winter. Brrr. But I'm sure that no matter where we go we'll have a good time. I'm also going to go skiing for the first time in there somewhere- we're going to Greek Peak. I think I'll be able to pick it up fairly quickly- I'm athletic and have good balance. Ryan's somewhat skeptical...whatever happened to, "Aren't you always right?" :P
Tomorrow morning I've got an optometrist appointment. Then I can finally get some new contacts...I've been wearing mostly glasses for the past two months because the contacts irritate my eyes when I wear them for more than a couple hours. Yup, that's what's new with me.