Monday, August 04, 2003
There are only a couple weeks left in the summer :( There's still sooooo much more to be done before classes start, it seems. Moving to the new apartment, giving some serious thought to choosing which grad schools to apply to, looking into the GRE, getting the website up, enjoying the sunshine and time with friends...there just isn't enough time! I have to talk to my research advisor about it, but I think I may cut back the hours I work to 10-4 until classes start, then of course I'll be working weird hours whenever I can fit them in. I have quite a bit of downtime that I could get rid of and spend the extra time on the aforementioned stuff.
I'm nearing my gym challenge goal. See, I'm stingy, so I was hesitant to buy a summer gym pass at $45. But I figured that if I could get the cost down to $1 a visit, it'd be worth buying one. Currently I'm at 41 visits, and I expect to go every day after work as I have been for most of the summer. So Thursday I'll hit the mark. Go me. I'll continue to go just as often, though, since it's good for me and I enjoy it.
I'm very good at sticking to challenges like that. Sophomore year I resolved to go running 3 times per week for at least 30 minutes each time for the entire academic year. Which isn't a whole lot of time, but you know how crazy it can get around prelims and such. My incentive was that if I completed the challenge I'd reward myself with a tattoo. Well I chickened out of the tattoo, but I did complete the challenge. I often did more than the minimum 30 minutes, too. That led to me deciding to run the NYC Marathon, which didn't happen because my knees broke down, but it was a noble attempt. I can say that now, but not being able to run it really had me angry at the world last fall. I invested so much time and energy into training, imagined the thrill of the big day over and over, then couldn't do it because I trained too hard. I went above and beyond the call of duty and got punished for it. That combined with the cessation of endorphins and I was fairly depressed.
Yeah, but anyway, I've been to the gym a lot this summer. Feeling really healthy and strong. Now if I could only get my mind in order...
I'm nearing my gym challenge goal. See, I'm stingy, so I was hesitant to buy a summer gym pass at $45. But I figured that if I could get the cost down to $1 a visit, it'd be worth buying one. Currently I'm at 41 visits, and I expect to go every day after work as I have been for most of the summer. So Thursday I'll hit the mark. Go me. I'll continue to go just as often, though, since it's good for me and I enjoy it.
I'm very good at sticking to challenges like that. Sophomore year I resolved to go running 3 times per week for at least 30 minutes each time for the entire academic year. Which isn't a whole lot of time, but you know how crazy it can get around prelims and such. My incentive was that if I completed the challenge I'd reward myself with a tattoo. Well I chickened out of the tattoo, but I did complete the challenge. I often did more than the minimum 30 minutes, too. That led to me deciding to run the NYC Marathon, which didn't happen because my knees broke down, but it was a noble attempt. I can say that now, but not being able to run it really had me angry at the world last fall. I invested so much time and energy into training, imagined the thrill of the big day over and over, then couldn't do it because I trained too hard. I went above and beyond the call of duty and got punished for it. That combined with the cessation of endorphins and I was fairly depressed.
Yeah, but anyway, I've been to the gym a lot this summer. Feeling really healthy and strong. Now if I could only get my mind in order...