Tuesday, July 29, 2003
A lot has happened in the past couple weeks. There is also some stuff which should’ve happened yet didn’t, but I’ll focus on what did happen.
The trip to NH/ME was pretty fun. The highlight was definitely going to York Beach on Saturday and playing in the waves, followed by saltwater taffy and fudge. Being in New England made me nostalgic for the summer that I worked as a camp counselor in Massachusetts. I really love the area and could see myself living there in the future. They have lots of fish...it could work. The long drive there and the time spent driving between Nashua and Dover pretty much wore me out, though. By Saturday evening I wasn’t in much of a partying mood for Corinne’s party. On Sunday, Corinne took me and Ryan to Portsmouth, a scenic town with lots of bikers. I had my picture taken on the whale...apparently if you’ve been to Portsmouth then you’ll understand what I’m talking about? Then the long drive home...I was bestowed with the honor of driving the Kalcmobile for a little while- woohoo. A fun weekend in general, it’s just too bad that I wasn’t more energetic.
My short work week between road trips passed really quickly- the usual work/gym/chill routine. I was flipping out big time over several aspects of Grand Chapter, however. Got mad at someone over something completely insignificant and out of his control, then got mad at myself for blowing things out of proportion. That was compounded by the stress of getting necessary things done at the lab before I left, packing, and feeling guilty for not having recently reviewed the bylaw amendments. In short, I was a nervous wreck and my stomach was flip-flopping.
Thursday morning I went into the gym super early (7:15 AM!) then to the lab around 8:30, did what I needed to get done, then went home at 10 to get ready for what was supposed to be an 11:00 pickup. Eric, Joe, and Rebecca were running late, however, so it was more like noon. Wish I could’ve slept in an extra hour :/ Well, the ride down was pretty fun and the four hours passed really quickly, especially in comparison to the 6.5 hour trip to NH. Checked in, reunited with Helly, Demetri, and Dana. We Beta Nu’s went out to dinner in Philly with the DA’s, got lost, then found our way back to Villanova for icebreakers. That night I joined the DA’s at a pub while the BN’s went to a diner. I was exhausted from waking up at 6:30/working out/long drive, so I left around 11:30.
Friday morning I woke up naturally at 7:15 and felt rejuvenated, so I decided to go for a run. I did about 3 miles around the Villanova campus, which has some nice buildings but isn’t nearly as gorges as Cornell. Breakfast, then GC business from 9 am until midnight with breaks for lunch and dinner but not much else. Whew. I’m glad me and Demetri could keep each other company and mutter under our breath to each other about the frustratingly slow rate of progress. Our peanuts (Helly, Corinne, Kathy, and Dana) brought us Cookie Monster cookies from the mall, though- that cookie sustained me into the night. Yum!
Saturday I woke up early on purpose for another run, about 3.5 miles. Breakfast, then 8:45 business :/ Bylaw amendments almost all day long! Went to a workshop on PR, but it wasn’t particularly useful so I skipped my second workshop in favor of a 50 minute mental break. More business, dinner, then a little adventure with Kathy, Dana, and Corinne. As we later learned there were two liquor stores within 2 miles of us, but we missed both and instead ended up taking an hour-long trip with several stops. But we had fun and were ultimately successful, exploring new territory and trying not to get run off the road by gangstas in BMW’s. Or something like that. Evening business looked like it was going to run super late, so I ate a ton of junk food in hopes of extra energy. Big mistake- major stomachache ensued. Business wrapped up around 11:30, then we had a little party in our room: the liquor store group plus DA’s Rebecca, Joe, and Chris. We had a blast playing Kings- far and away the highlight of the weekend. I really didn’t have that much to drink, but the weekend’s exhaustion amplified the effects quite a lot. The guys left, we girls had some girl talk and male-bashing (not about the guys who had just left: others), then crashed at 2:30.
Sunday I paid the price for our wacky night: major stomachache/hangover. Needless to say, did not wake up early to go running! Did make it to breakfast, then 9-11 am business. Closing sing-along, announcements, pictures, then out to lunch (Italian) with BN, DA, and EA. Felt miserable and depressed most of the time, but tried to laugh and smile a little. Slept for an hour on the ride home and discussed PSP stuff with the DA’s. Got home about 6:00, then Jen and her mom and brother showed up. We got fro yo from Jason’s Deli then I crashed around 7:00. Woke up for a half hour or so around 12:30, then back to sleep until 8:00 Monday morning, when I had to get up for work. I hadn’t been that exhausted- physically, mentally, and emotionally, in a long time. Well, that awful day during senior week when I got locked out of my apartment by a complete stranger came pretty close, but this time it was four long days leading up it.
Yesterday was still pretty rough. Physically, still in a daze all day at work. Really didn’t get much of anything accomplished. Emotionally, was pretty upset about one thing in particular and was feeling rejected and hopeless. Wanted a nice long cry, but for some reason no tears would come. Skipped out of work early and went to the gym for a long time. Felt 100% better after that. Went to Wegman’s with the roomies and got some stuff I haven’t tried before. Is it completely domestic-nerd to get excited over groceries? Had peach salsa salmon kebabs from the Weggies fish market- yum! Hung out with Tones and complained about life, came home, and relaxed for a while.
It’s a relief that things are finally getting back to normal. Whenever things get crazy it’s a relief to have a day of routine. But after too many routine days I get antsy and want some drama. But for now, I’m okay with routine for a while.
The trip to NH/ME was pretty fun. The highlight was definitely going to York Beach on Saturday and playing in the waves, followed by saltwater taffy and fudge. Being in New England made me nostalgic for the summer that I worked as a camp counselor in Massachusetts. I really love the area and could see myself living there in the future. They have lots of fish...it could work. The long drive there and the time spent driving between Nashua and Dover pretty much wore me out, though. By Saturday evening I wasn’t in much of a partying mood for Corinne’s party. On Sunday, Corinne took me and Ryan to Portsmouth, a scenic town with lots of bikers. I had my picture taken on the whale...apparently if you’ve been to Portsmouth then you’ll understand what I’m talking about? Then the long drive home...I was bestowed with the honor of driving the Kalcmobile for a little while- woohoo. A fun weekend in general, it’s just too bad that I wasn’t more energetic.
My short work week between road trips passed really quickly- the usual work/gym/chill routine. I was flipping out big time over several aspects of Grand Chapter, however. Got mad at someone over something completely insignificant and out of his control, then got mad at myself for blowing things out of proportion. That was compounded by the stress of getting necessary things done at the lab before I left, packing, and feeling guilty for not having recently reviewed the bylaw amendments. In short, I was a nervous wreck and my stomach was flip-flopping.
Thursday morning I went into the gym super early (7:15 AM!) then to the lab around 8:30, did what I needed to get done, then went home at 10 to get ready for what was supposed to be an 11:00 pickup. Eric, Joe, and Rebecca were running late, however, so it was more like noon. Wish I could’ve slept in an extra hour :/ Well, the ride down was pretty fun and the four hours passed really quickly, especially in comparison to the 6.5 hour trip to NH. Checked in, reunited with Helly, Demetri, and Dana. We Beta Nu’s went out to dinner in Philly with the DA’s, got lost, then found our way back to Villanova for icebreakers. That night I joined the DA’s at a pub while the BN’s went to a diner. I was exhausted from waking up at 6:30/working out/long drive, so I left around 11:30.
Friday morning I woke up naturally at 7:15 and felt rejuvenated, so I decided to go for a run. I did about 3 miles around the Villanova campus, which has some nice buildings but isn’t nearly as gorges as Cornell. Breakfast, then GC business from 9 am until midnight with breaks for lunch and dinner but not much else. Whew. I’m glad me and Demetri could keep each other company and mutter under our breath to each other about the frustratingly slow rate of progress. Our peanuts (Helly, Corinne, Kathy, and Dana) brought us Cookie Monster cookies from the mall, though- that cookie sustained me into the night. Yum!
Saturday I woke up early on purpose for another run, about 3.5 miles. Breakfast, then 8:45 business :/ Bylaw amendments almost all day long! Went to a workshop on PR, but it wasn’t particularly useful so I skipped my second workshop in favor of a 50 minute mental break. More business, dinner, then a little adventure with Kathy, Dana, and Corinne. As we later learned there were two liquor stores within 2 miles of us, but we missed both and instead ended up taking an hour-long trip with several stops. But we had fun and were ultimately successful, exploring new territory and trying not to get run off the road by gangstas in BMW’s. Or something like that. Evening business looked like it was going to run super late, so I ate a ton of junk food in hopes of extra energy. Big mistake- major stomachache ensued. Business wrapped up around 11:30, then we had a little party in our room: the liquor store group plus DA’s Rebecca, Joe, and Chris. We had a blast playing Kings- far and away the highlight of the weekend. I really didn’t have that much to drink, but the weekend’s exhaustion amplified the effects quite a lot. The guys left, we girls had some girl talk and male-bashing (not about the guys who had just left: others), then crashed at 2:30.
Sunday I paid the price for our wacky night: major stomachache/hangover. Needless to say, did not wake up early to go running! Did make it to breakfast, then 9-11 am business. Closing sing-along, announcements, pictures, then out to lunch (Italian) with BN, DA, and EA. Felt miserable and depressed most of the time, but tried to laugh and smile a little. Slept for an hour on the ride home and discussed PSP stuff with the DA’s. Got home about 6:00, then Jen and her mom and brother showed up. We got fro yo from Jason’s Deli then I crashed around 7:00. Woke up for a half hour or so around 12:30, then back to sleep until 8:00 Monday morning, when I had to get up for work. I hadn’t been that exhausted- physically, mentally, and emotionally, in a long time. Well, that awful day during senior week when I got locked out of my apartment by a complete stranger came pretty close, but this time it was four long days leading up it.
Yesterday was still pretty rough. Physically, still in a daze all day at work. Really didn’t get much of anything accomplished. Emotionally, was pretty upset about one thing in particular and was feeling rejected and hopeless. Wanted a nice long cry, but for some reason no tears would come. Skipped out of work early and went to the gym for a long time. Felt 100% better after that. Went to Wegman’s with the roomies and got some stuff I haven’t tried before. Is it completely domestic-nerd to get excited over groceries? Had peach salsa salmon kebabs from the Weggies fish market- yum! Hung out with Tones and complained about life, came home, and relaxed for a while.
It’s a relief that things are finally getting back to normal. Whenever things get crazy it’s a relief to have a day of routine. But after too many routine days I get antsy and want some drama. But for now, I’m okay with routine for a while.